Friday, February 10, 2012

Poll: What's in a name?

Four are the number of obstacles routinely thrown in the way of my epic cooking quest.

1) Renaissance Stock
2) Renaissance Dough
3) "place the ingredients in a small food processor"
4) "using a hand mixer comma rest of sentence"

Those first two points are on my hit-list. Also on the rhyming list. As for those others... number three was a source of particular frustration after every single person who reads the blog tripped over themselves to be the first person to inform me that grating beets is really easy with a food processor. Someone at work popped their head into my office just to tell me that.

And so, I have taken some of my ill-gotten gains [Note: Not ill-gotten, and hardly gained] and purchased some useful devices. Please cue up the video.





BAAAA


BAAAA... BAAAA...

BWADAAAAA



BUM BUM BUM BUM BUM

Ahem. Anyway. Here's where you come in. I need to name these suckers, and I'm putting it up to a vote. You probably saw the poll on the right side of the page already, which has a number of options. Please feel free to make new suggestions in the comments below; if Blogger will let me, I'll add suggestions directly to the poll itself. That means you should check back again before the poll closes at midnight on the morning of February 18. 

BONUS: I broke in the mixer almost immediately by attempting some Momofuku Milk Bar Compost Cookies


Unfortunately, these are not beginner level cookies. 


The first batch was burnt. 


The second batch was... less burnt.


I learned a lot of things about this recipe over the two batches, but who knows when I'll actually get a chance to try it again. I have all sorts of other stuff to mix and process, Renaissance and otherwise.


C'est le gâteau.

7 comments:

  1. So I may be trying to be over-clever, but for the mixer I would suggest Friar Laurence or simply 'Larry'. To keep in line with the Shakespearean theme. The friar was the one to mix the poison for Juliet.

    And then for the processor, perhaps Titus would be a good name, since he used people he cut up as recipe ingredients in a pie. :)

    Whatever you decide to name them, you should give them inanimate character stickers :)
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/cubegoodies/9866/?srp=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not bad ideas, but I'm trying to keep the sets from the same play. So Larry only works if the processor is Nurse, and Titus only if the mixer is Lavinia. And hey, it'd be pretty funny if she had whisks and beaters for hands *Makes note for future production*.

      Stickers are tricky since I'll need to wash the things, but that may not stop me. Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete
  2. I voted for Hal and Falstaff, only because I can't imagine your food processor and mixer would fight as much as Benedick and Beatrice do. I imagine they'd be much more friendly, helping each other out to make delicious food. (Eventually, you'll find you use the food processor more, and it will break your mixer's heart and leave it to die...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote Cloten and Iachimo.

    What? The villains from Cymbeline? Why would anyone ever name kitchen equipment after these ridiculous individuals?

    Why indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wait! what was the result of this poll? inquiring minds want to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The result is that the poll still has a day to go, and you can see how it's progressing over on the right.

      Delete