Monday, February 20, 2012

As rheumatic as two dry toasts

The fix is in! With a stunning 33% lead over the nearest competitors (i.e., one additional vote), Caliban and Ariel have swept the Poll results! In case anyone was confused, the food processor is now Caliban, and the mixer is Ariel. Ariel is, after all, an "airy spirit", and the mixer is what I would use to whip air into eggs and batter and also into etceteras, which are notoriously thin without a good whipping.

A while ago I mentioned a super-secret literary food project, and we're close enough that I can finally tell you what it is. This weekend I am co-hosting (along with fellow PhD student Susanna) a literary/culinary smackdown! Sunday! Sunday! Sunday! Shakespeare's Kitchen vs. Katherine Anne Porter! Special appearances by Emily Dickinson, William Faulkner (under negotiations), and Big Papa Hemingway (spiritually, via alcohol)! I will take pictures, and write an entry to let you know how it goes. Susanna bears much of the blame here. On a class trip to the UMD special collections and the Katherine Anne Porter Papers, Susanna rifled through KAP's kitchen notes and came away with Guinness Punch, Imagination Beef, and some crazy biscuit recipe that makes Elizabethan cooking instructions seem precise and exacting. After a lot of joking about making these for class, we decided that we should combine forces and throw a dinner party. My contributions will include Flounder with Dried Plums since it has been tried and tested, and a few new side dishes or desserts to knock things off the list. I will also get drunk and say inappropriate things, which is itself a tribute to Conversations of Ben Jonson with William Drummond of Hawthornden. The best part is that, at the end of the day, we can connect absolutely anything we eat or drink to some author or another (link courtesy of fellow student Ashley).

I spent this past Saturday attending Katsucon, where friend Bridget provided me with a container of mace that she was not using. Depending on how you think about it, an anime character tossing you cooking supplies across a hotel room is either extremely weird, or not weird at all.

***

This past week, I had my heart set on making two different dishes: Dried Plums with Wine and Ginger-Zest Crostini, and Autumn Squashes with Apples and Fried Parsley. I figured that they would make a great appetizer and side for my remaining portion of carnitas. This was not to be. I waited too late on day-of to get both done, and by the time I finished the Crostini I had "accidentally" eaten enough to make the Squash unnecessary. The squashes I purchased (squashes? squash? squaesh? squashii?) are still sitting in the kitchen, which is kind of cool because it makes me the sort of person who keeps squash on hand just in case.

With the minor exception of switching french bread for baguettes, then vice versa, then versa vice, then yes, definitely it's supposed to be the baguette, picking up groceries was fairly simple. Sometimes I worry that if I don't have crazy food-purchasing adventures I won't actually have enough material for a good post. But it is what it is.

First, we deal with the plums and wine. I thought I would have to run out and deal with buying some red, but it turned out that an extremely foresighted friend had left some for a movie night a while back.

It certainly passes the interesting label test.


It also passes the all-important "is there enough to pour myself a glass?" test.


Unfortunately, it failed the "tastes good" test.


But I had already tossed the wine, sugar, and cinnamon stick together, so I was already committed. Next was 6oz of dried plums. I had no idea what 6oz of dried plums looked like, so I guessed.


And then it turned out I guessed wrong by a factor of 3. So we go from seven to 20.


While that stuff cooked down, I started to prep for the crostini. The recipe says to toss the bread slices on a baking sheet under the broiler, but that is impractical due to my oven construction.


So it's the broiler tray again, but this time with some aluminum foil wrapping to keep me from scraping burnt bits off it all night.


And here we have my baguette slices brushed with olive oil and lightly salted. That's actually a barbecue brush I picked up as a freebie at the 2010 Barbecue Battle. Glad it finally came in handy!


There was also a bunch of cut-up bread left over, since I didn't realize that I had already hit the baking sheet saturation point. The recipe doesn't actually tell you how much bread to use, or how many slices, or anything like that. Just one loaf french bread, baguette style. Anyway, it worked out for me.


Ginger and lemon zest are up next. Apparently I forgot to rotate this picture, so just pretend I was kneeling up on my kitchen counter for some reason.


I decided to start by hitting the ginger with the vegetable peeler, which worked fairly well except for the part where bits of ginger and ginger bark went flying everywhere, even on my bread slices. Oops.


The idea was to finely julienne the ginger, but it didn't go amazingly well. Ginger is hard and fibrous, and the results were fairly uneven.


I was also supposed to zest half a lemon, but I figured that haphazardly zesting a whole lemon would go faster. Of course by "zesting" I mean "smacking with the peeler."


Half an hour after it hit a summer, the wine had boiled down quite a bit and soaked into the plums.


Out comes the cinnamon stick, and mash mash mash. So it's sort of like plum jelly, except the individual plums are still almost discrete units. Lots of middle bits made it out into the mixture, but the skins pretty much stay together.


Now that I can commit my full attention, bread goes under the broiler.


I leave it cracked a bit so I can observe my bread as it transforms into toast.


Of course, I did assume that I would only have to do so towards the start of the minimum toasting time given in the book. But by then it was already too far gone. 50% of my breads are dead to me. With the lit-food smackdown on its way, I wondered how I would deal with a food-failure of these proportions right before people were supposed to show up.


Here's the answer. Good pieces on a plate, burnt bits in to keep them out of sight.


A little of the plum-wine mixture on the toast, ginger and lemon zest on the mixture. The lemon-slices and an extra scoop of the mixture go in the middle for extra fancy.


And this is what it looks like up close. I bet I could pass it off at a party.



Verdict: Good, but needs technical improvement. The cinnamon and sugar in the plums took out a lot of the tartness I was expecting, and although I wouldn't drink that wine, it worked well with the other flavors. Then the ginger and lemon are a great addition when they show up in a bite. As for fixes, the first thing is that I need to not burn the toast, which I guess means pulling everything out early to take the center pieces and then toss the rest back in. Or toast in batches. Either one should do. Also, I need to do something about the size of the ginger and lemon pieces. Smaller bits would make it a lot easier to spread the garnish around evenly, and also prevent a final bite from having a giant piece of ginger or lemon peel in it to kill the rest of the taste. This may mean picking up an actual zester for zest, instead of a peeler for peels. Will make again.


Sometimes I worry that the simple posts aren't crazy enough.

6 comments:

  1. Try freezing the ginger before you use it. It makes it more...grateable and less pulpy. I learned that from all my baking experiments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to follow this ginger tip, because I needed it.

      Justin, for zesting, try using that side you cut yourself on a 4-sided grater when you are washing it (if you are me) or the side with very small grating bits. Then rejoice.

      Also, yay for poll results.

      Delete
  2. I've been reading this blog since the beginning, and it seems like you screw up every single recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not every recipe! The first fish went off without a hitch, and the fool, first chicken, and onions didn't have any issues. And as far as the rest, the only food-killing issue was the rice balls. Even the burnt carrots were delicious in the end.

      Lesson learned - messing up while cooking doesn't lead to bad food.

      Delete
  3. I haven't yet commented because everyone seems to give you the pieces of advice I'd give, but here's one thing that may help. http://casaveneracion.com/how-to-zest-a-lemon-orange-or-lime/
    This little introduction gives three different kinds of zest that might be called for. Some people prefer not to eat big pieces of Lemon peel as zest, but it's a way to add the flavor into things like soups during the cooking and which could be removed before eating that spoonful. If I'm going to be eating the zest as part of something or baked into something, I usually use the fine grater part of that handy grater you used for your beets, and do some gentle grating, trying to get as much of the bright yellow of the skin as possible, because I like that flavor best.

    But Justin? I am so glad you're doing this project, and please don't ever feel like you need to measure your success by how close your creation is to the recipe. I grew up cooking a lot, but the motto of our kitchen was always, "never make the same recipe the same way twice." Keep learning. Keep experimenting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the advice and kind words. As long as I can eat it and it is delicious, I consider my work at least a partial success.

      Delete